How does a seismograph work
Earthquake for students
How earthquakes are measured
Earthquakes are measured with the help of seismometers. These devices are so sensitive that they can record the slightest vibrations in the ground that we humans do not feel. The magnitude of an earthquake is determined with the help of seismometers.
In principle, a seismometer works very simply. A heavy steel ball is suspended from a spiral spring that is attached to the top of the cross brace of a housing. When the earth shakes, the movements are transferred to the case, but not to the steel ball at the end of the hairspring. This remains in one place due to the inertia. The relative movement between the steel ball and the housing can be recorded by attaching a pen to the steel ball, which draws on a sheet which is attached to the housing and vibrates with it. In this way, the relative movement of the ground can be recorded as a change in length over time. This can then be used to determine the amplitude and magnitude of the earthquake oscillations. The device on which the vibrations of the seismometer are recorded is called a seismograph. The associated graphic is the seismogram. In the past, large drums with a sheet of paper clamped onto them were common. An ink needle transmitted the vibrations of the earthquake to the paper as the drum turned. So many vibration lines were recorded side by side and you only had to change paper once a day.
There are also modern acceleration sensors that can be used to register earthquakes. Such sensors are built into a smartphone, for example. While they are not as sensitive as a seismometer, they can be used to record stronger earthquakes. In order for this to work with a smartphone, you need a special app, which is available free of charge.
- Where is the Pacific Ring of Fire
- Is an antidepressant a depressant
- How's the parking in Hartford CT
- What does matronic looking woman mean
- Who was Romy Schneider
- What is mental disorder
- Where can I buy Vitamin C IV
- What is x if 2x 66
- What does iconoclastic mean
- What is an object oriented pattern
- Is religion really important to success?
- Where were pharaoh tombs placed a long time ago
- How does a Docker commit work
- What is the russian word for spin
- How can I master geometry
- Which book changed your attitude
- Do not contain living things bio-elements
- Do you like to have children
- Why is a communion waiting?
- What are the 5 great ice ages
- Who is the smartest in software Why
- What is an effective dose
- Humanism Why are programmers mostly humanists
- What do you think of kiosks