What time of the year should tomatoes be planted?
How and when to plant and properly care for tomatoes
Growing tomatoes is not that difficult, but, as with all plants and vegetables, you have to adapt to their needs. And they just begin to plant the tomatoes properly.
There are an incredible number of varieties, but planting and caring for all varieties is practically the same.
When to start planting tomatoes
You should plant tomatoes firstfrom mid-May. At this point the risk of frost is more or less over and the soil has warmed up enough. This applies to both the balcony and the garden.
Depending on the region and altitude, it can be a little colder, then you should keep an eye on the thermometer and the weather forecast and, if in doubt, be patient and wait for the right time.
Pull tomatoes from seeds
If you don't want to buy seedlings, simply grow tomato plants from the seeds yourself.
You can do this in a seed tray in your home from the end of February to mid-March. They grow particularly well on a light window sill. From mid-May, you can plant the young tomato plants directly in the garden or in pots on the balcony.
If you want to plant the seeds directly in the field, you should wait until the end of May. Be careful not to set the seeds too deep. Even if you sow the seeds directly in your own garden, you should still prick out the young plants, that is, separate them. So they have enough space to grow.
Tip: Wait until at least one pair of leaves has formed before pricking out.
This is what you should pay attention to with seeds
Use seeds fromnon-seed varieties, because only these types of tomatoes can be propagated without problems. This is usually not the case with the F1 hybrids that are often commercially available. You are almost always right with old tomato varieties.
If youObtain seeds yourself simply cut open a ripe tomato and scrape out the seeds along with the pulp. Put both in a glass with water. After a few days, the seeds separate from the pulp and sink to the bottom. Now let the seeds dry well and then use them for sowing.
Plant tomatoes in the right location
Tomatoes grow in the garden bed, but also in pots on the balcony. The ideal location is important.
Tomato plants are sun worshipers and heat lovers. The more the location on thesunny south side in the garden or on the balconythe more fruits you can reap in the end. Partial shade to full sun and nice and warm, these are the ideal requirements if you want to plant your own tomatoes.
It can also be really warm. This is mostly the case when tomatoes are in front of asunlit wall stand or on a protective hedge. A roof can, but does not have to be, because tomatoes also grow very well without this weather protection. You have such conditions if youTomatoes in the pot on the balcony or grow on the terrace. Close to the wall, ideally another balcony above it - these are good, because warm, conditions for growing tomatoes.
Good to know
Gardeners always speak of (full) sunny, partial shade and shade. A sunny location means that it will get 5 hours or more of sun in midsummer. On the other hand, 2 hours of sun or less is considered shady.
The wind can also whistle through at the optimal location. Even and especially when the tomato plants are dripping wet from a summer downpour. Not that tomatoes are afraid of water, but diseases, especially late blight and brown rot, can develop over time due to constantly moist leaves. Aairy location is therefore very helpful here.
Plant tomatoes in the right soil
Since tomatoes are hungry plants and perform at their best in terms of growth and fruit formation during the gardening season, they must be properly supplied with nutrients. Regardless of whether you grow tomatoes in the greenhouse, bed or pot and which variety you use: The soil should provide good nutrients.Fertilize regularlyis therefore important for strong tomato plants with high fruit yields.
The right mix in the bed
In the greenhouse and bed, the soil is first loosened well and supplied with fertilizer. Fertilize the soil in the form ofCompost or deposited manureas long as it comes from a good source (keyword: near-natural husbandry).3 to 5 liters of fertilizer per square meter is the rule of thumb here. In particular, poor or sandy soils and for soil revitalization, it also helps to put a handful of the organic fertilizer on this areaPrimary rock meal to incorporate. In this way you create ideal conditions for your own cultivation.
Tip: You can do the tillage on a beautiful April day, so you won't have too much work to do when you plant it in mid-May.
Nutrient-rich compost, primary rock flour and horn shavings in the earth create the ideal soil for planting. Photo © Jürgen Rösemeier-Buhmann
If you don't have a composter, you can also buy the “gardener's gold” as sacked goods. If there is something left over, vegetables such as cucumbers, potatoes, pumpkins and courgettes will also enjoy the nutrient-rich soil improver.
The right mixture in the pot
whoPlanting tomatoes would like toin the pot, should use large buckets. The pot volume should be 25 liters per plant. Tomatoes are both deep roots (because they are looking for water) and shallow roots (for food intake), so such a large bucket is practically completely rooted at the end. And that gets the tomato.
For tomatoes in pots, proceed in the same way as the gardener: mix good potting soil with compost and, if you like, mix primary rock flour.
Planting tomatoes: simple instructions
- Plant tomatoesalways a little deeper when they were sitting in the small pot before. As a rule of thumb, they should be planted just below the lowest pair of leaves.
- This has the effect that they form roots on the shoot, which improves nutrient and water absorption and makes them more stable.
- Tomatoes are placed in the open field withabout 60 cm distance planted. The distance from row to row should be about one meter.
- Plant tomatoes in the pot as described above.
- As soon as the tomatoes are planted, they are watered vigorously. Strong means: Gladly 5 l and more per plant. This takes care of them for the following days.
A twisted tomato stick is the ideal climbing aid and helps the fruit to ripen quickly. Photo © Jürgen Rösemeier-Buhmann
- Commercially available tomatoesalways need a support. This comes into the soil right next to the tomato when planted. The easiest way to support the tomatoes is with twisted tomato sticks.
- Carefully and regularly twist the constantly growing tomatoes into these special tomato sticks in a clockwise direction. This prevents the plants from kinking if the fruit is hopefully abundant. Don't worry if a leaf breaks off. You should exercise some caution with fresh panicles.
- However, other stable support rods or trellises can also help. This should then measure at least 1.5 m. Tomatoes are tied loosely to them either with herbaceous clips or, better, with a thick garden string. For this purpose, the string forms an eight, leaving some room for the growing tomato shoot. Otherwise, the cord could at some point cut or cut off the main shoot, which continues to grow in diameter.
Properly caring for tomatoes from sowing to harvest
Image: 1 of 16
Juicy, red and aromatic fragrant Homemade tomatoes simply taste best. We'll show you the way from tomato seeds to ready-to-harvest fruit and provide helpful tips on cultivation and care. Photo © fotokostic / iStock / Thinkstock
More about growing and caring for tomatoes
In line with this topic:
- What is the classification of engineering materials
- Laughs good for your health
- Food companies will cease to exist
- Indian software developers are code donkeys
- How many rupees are 1 megawatt
- How can I get a programming internship
- Are dirt bikes faster than motorcycles
- What are the strangest misunderstandings about Uganda
- Should the civil marriage be recognized in Israel
- Should street art be encouraged? Why
- What future devices are you waiting for?
- Why is Huggies being discontinued
- What algorithms have made the imagination a reality?
- How do therapists deal with avoidance
- How is quantum technology used every day
- Some people make politics a religion
- What is the best definition of force
- Which is the best mobile brand
- Girls of neurosurgery join in NIMHANS
- Will Moto G6 Indians work in Canada
- How can I open a supermarket
- Which retailers sell large clothes
- Why does Islam have so many rules
- What colors make the most memorable logos
- Would the installation of IntelliJ IDEA affect Android Studio?
- How often should I test my thyroid gland?
- How is Munnar doing at the end of August
- Why should I be a doctor
- Prince Harry hates the royal family
- Is Ethereum 2019 undervalued
- What causes elevator phobia
- Where can I find the latest apps
- How does fermentation work