Certain spices can destroy intestinal bacteria
Vitamins, calcium, iron - what are you doing with my intestines?
Dietary supplements affect the intestinal flora
A research team from Kiel was able to show that changes in the composition of the intestinal bacteria in type 2 diabetes are primarily related to obesity and the consumption of dietary supplements and medication and less to diabetes.
Medicines taken regularly (such as antihypertensive agents, pain relievers, antidepressants and antidiabetic drugs) and also dietary supplements have an influence on the intestinal microbiome (intestinal flora). In food supplements, it is magnesium, vitamins, calcium and, above all, iron that change the composition of the intestinal bacteria.
This is particularly important for people with gastrointestinal diseases such as Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis and an unstable intestinal flora. A study has shown that the additional administration of iron, whether as a tablet or intravenously, significantly influences the composition of the intestinal flora.
For the future, the researchers hope to understand more precisely what these changes actually cause in the intestinal microbiome and which bacteria (see below) are the key players in order to be able to intervene in a targeted manner and thus influence the respective disease.
What should you watch out for?
If you have conditions like Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis, have recurring diarrhea, or have bowel problems, it is important to discuss these with your doctor before using any supplements. Be sure to ask for one for you during the interview sensible dosage. For example, excessive amounts of magnesium can not only change the composition of the intestinal bacteria but also lead to diarrhea and gastrointestinal problems. Possible interactions with medication should also be considered.
What can you do for your intestinal bacteria yourself?
- Only eat small amounts of foods that cause constipation or have a laxative effect (e.g. certain spices).
- Drink enough.
- Eat - as far as you can tolerate them - high-fiber plant-based foods, i.e. whole grain products, oatmeal and vegetables, but also fruit. Foods with natural inulin or oligofructose (special water-soluble fiber) such as legumes, chicory, artichoke, salsify, leek, onions, garlic or asparagus can be helpful. Resistant starch (contained in potatoes, pasta, rice from the day before) also acts as dietary fiber.
- Flax seeds and chia seeds can also have a positive effect, but the amounts should be limited to 20 or 15 grams per day.
- Sour milk products from the refrigerated shelf such as yoghurt, kefir, ayran, lassi or curd milk, but also beans fermented with lactic acid, carrots, sauerkraut or Asian kimchi have a beneficial effect on the intestinal flora and thus possibly also on the immune system.
- So-called probiotic bacteria have no proven health-promoting effect in healthy people.
- Only take antibiotics when you really need them. Discuss this with your doctor.
- Avoid stress, get enough sleep and exercise as much as possible.
What do the intestinal bacteria do?
There are around 1.3 times as many bacteria in the intestine as there are cells in the human body. This so-called microbiota is involved in many processes such as digestion, the production of vitamins and the defense against pathogens. 99% of the intestinal flora consists of four families of bacteria: Firmicutes, Bacteroidetes, Proteobacteria and Actinobacteria.
Above all, these break down indigestible carbohydrates (fiber), resulting in short-chain fatty acids (mainly acetic, propionic and butyric acid), which are absorbed and metabolized by the cells of the intestinal wall. Their exact physiological significance is not yet known; in any case, they also stimulate intestinal peristalsis (bowel movement).
- Should the government privatize more American services
- Why is IOTA the most undervalued crypto currency
- What plants are used to make glue
- Why marathon is greatest in real estate
- Why should we learn photography
- What is your most common opinion
- Agnosticism is a choice
- What are the themes of Kia Themes
- How can you get emotionally strong
- Can Sangakara Sachin Tendulkar's records break
- Why are only semiconductors used in LEDs?
- Why can't we just have one country?
- Says I don't disagree cowardly
- Why do you support the Confederate flag?
- What is the Export Import Bank
- What are the cheapest cruises in 2019
- Why is inclined foot economical?
- What are easy movers in Dubai
- How can I get a travel loan
- Why does our body tremble with a fever?
- How are radio messages encrypted?
- My parents ruined my career
- Who is Lilly Singh replaced on NBC
- Is lymph node TB transmissible