What is a prayer
In a prayer a person speaks to God. He can only think, speak softly or loudly or sing a prayer. He can pray alone, in a group, or even in a whole church full of people. He can stand, sit or kneel. Sometimes someone also prays, for example a pastor or an imam, and people pray silently.
There are prayers in almost all religions. The praying person believes that God listens to him like a person. Some people also believe that God not only listens to them, but speaks to them from within. Many people hope that this will provide answers to their questions. Stories are known from the Bible in which a person heard the voice of God and then passed it on to other people. Such a person is a prophet.
Most religions also have prayers that are written down. The most famous prayer in Christianity is the “Our Father”. Jesus himself is said to have told the people who were with him. In Judaism it is “Sch’ma Israel”, in German it reads: “Hear, Israel, the Lord is our God, the Lord is only.” For Muslims, prayer is one of the five pillars of Islam.
Prayer can have different contents. Originally, the word “prayer” did not have to do with “pray”, but with “ask”. When a person prays for others, it is intercession. There are also prayers for the sick or prayers at table that are said before dinner. A well-known old children's prayer is: "I am small, my heart is pure, no one shall live in it but God alone". Many prayers want to praise and glorify God. In the Old Testament, for example, these are the psalms.
Are prayers repeated often?
Sometimes full people say the same prayer or similar prayers many times in a row in order to properly immerse themselves in them. Some people can also use it to forget their worries and relax. Many religions have prayer chains as an aid. These are strings on which pearls are strung like a necklace that is worn as jewelry. The distance between the pearls or the size of the pearls shows which prayer is due.
The rosary is best known in the Catholic Church. There is also a variation of this in the Protestant Church. In the Orthodox Church there is the komboskini with a hundred knots. The same prayer is said every time, with the name Jesus Christ invoked above all.
In Buddhism and Hinduism there is the mala. This prayer beads usually contains 108 small and one large pearl. To do this, you usually take nuts or you carve the pearls out of palm wood. With every pearl you say a mantra, that is a special syllable, a special word or a short saying.
The Misbaha is the Islamic prayer beads. It usually has 33 or 99 beads made of wood or plastic. But there are also necklaces with eleven or a thousand pearls. You can say the 99 names that Allah bears in the Koran. But you can also praise him 33 times for his actions, thank him 33 times and say 33 times how omniscient and powerful he is.
- Do you ever hate a movie
- Why is Cuba so poor
- When is business competition a good thing?
- What should we do during menopause
- How much does professional pole dance pay
- Why is ammonia more basic than phosphine
- What are arbitration proceedings based on
- Is NMR an analytical instrument or not
- Telecommunications companies can still be innovative and relevant
- How to learn mechatronics at home
- When do puppies start to eat?
- What is Kakashi's most powerful attack
- What is sine wave
- What was the biggest costco scandal
- What is the novel ttyl about?
- What is Artificial Intelligence from top to bottom
- The Minoans were the first civilization
- What is the chemical composition of silver
- How did it change your life to love someone?
- How do you treat mites in dogs
- Who discovered saltwater crocodiles
- Is gasoline and oil the same or not
- Is God more powerful than his omnipotence
- What poisonous animals live in Australia
- What is n 0 n 0
- Venom 2 is rated R.
- How to make a fresh coffee
- Are there Brazilians who live in Atlanta
- What are the best startup poker analogies
- What is the adverb form of agree
- What is a multispectral satellite
- Who is Malaysia most wanted
- What does the term supercomputer mean?