What are Windows CAB files used for?
Unzip the MSI file without installing it
MSI = Microsoft Software Installation (Windows Installer)
An MSI file usually contains a CAB file (or several CAB files), but if only one file is required, then it is nonsense to install the MSI completely.
There are some plug-ins for programs (e.g. Total Commander) that can unzip an MSI file, but it is very easy to do with on-board tools.
First, a new "MSI" folder is created on C: \ (example: C: \ MSI), in which the desired MSI file should be located. It may Not the same directory in which the source file is located can be used for unpacking.
Then the command prompt under "Start - Run: cmd start and with the command
CD C: \ MSI [ENTER]
change to this folder.
Now enter the following command (using IE Explorer as an example):
msiexec / a IE-Explorer.msi / qn TARGETDIR = "C: \ MSI \ IE-Explorer" [ENTER]
(Adapt path if necessary)
There will be a new subfolder called IE Explorer created under C: \ MSI (C: \ MSI \ IE-Explorer) and unzipped the MSI file there. You now have access to all files contained in the MSI file.
In order to copy a certain file into a certain directory immediately after unpacking (e.g. to replace a damaged file) and to delete the remaining unpacked files immediately, this command is required:
msiexec / a IE-Explorer.msi / qn TARGETDIR = "C: \ MSI \ IE-Explorer"
copy "C: \ MSI \ IE-Explorer \ program files \ IExplorer \ ieplore.exe"
"C: \ Program Files \ Internet Explorer \ ieplore.exe"
rd "C: \ MSI \ IE-Explorer" / S / Q
(Change path if necessary)
Just in case:
Since it works with all MSI files, simply write the lines above in a text editor with the extension asked (e.g. MSI.bat). The MSI.bat must of course be adapted accordingly (msi file, path, program).
With a double click the MSI.bat starts and the process is carried out automatically.
This saves time and nerves when only one file is required.
If you want to use a tool, you can use any packing program (example 7-Zip). Simply open the MSI with 7-Zip (do not unzip) and copy the file out.
Windows Installer 2.0 for Windows 2000 / NT 4.0
Windows Installer 3.1 v2 for Win 2000 / XP / 2003
Windows Installer 4.5 for XP / 2003 / Vista / Win2008 / 32- / 64-bit and Windows Server
59 ratingsØ 4.70
- Credit card consolidation is a good idea
- What are the available doses of fluoxetine
- Eric Clapton had other children
- What are some good punny squirrel names
- How long do the Samsung phone batteries last
- How do I do messenger marketing
- What is an effective dose
- Why should you come to Prague
- Which surfaces reflect light
- What is a regressive tax
- How do prostitutes deal with the police
- Mom's boy, I'm overreacting
- Why are La Mer cosmetic products so expensive?
- How do I make charcoal
- What are the benefits of the dark
- How is fitness necessary
- Pay for Android SDK
- How does China's judicial system work
- How is rubber electrically stable?
- How much do UX writers make
- Make macaroni and cheese fat
- Which characteristics define partisan politics?
- Nature benefits from forest fire
- Types of solenoid valves