What are the demonstrative pronouns in Portuguese
This here, this there, that there - the demonstrative pronouns in Brazilian Portuguese
In Portuguese there are three different indicative pronouns (also called demonstrative pronouns). The distinction between the three types is not so easy for German native speakers at first. But we will explain the differences to you now:
Take a look at the following small diagram:
|A Portuguese & how he sees the world:|
|isto aqui||isso aí|
|☺||-----------> this one|
|☺||-----------------> This there|
-------------------------------------> that there
In Portuguese you have to distinguish how far an object you want to point out is from the speaker.
If he is very close to the speaker, “isto” is used.
If it is further away from the speaker, "isso" is used.
If the object is very far away from the speaker, one says "aquilo".
|Isto é a minha bola.||This is my ball. [It's right next to me.]|
|Isso é o meu carro.||This is my car. [It's a little way off.]|
|Aquilo são os meus óculos.||Those over there are my glasses. [She is far from me.]|
One makes this distinction just at Objects.
Once you get over people speaks, one always uses "isso“.
These three demonstrative pronouns also have mutable forms. Thanks to these variable forms, they can be matched to their reference word in terms of number (singular or plural) and grammatical gender (male or female).
Variable forms of demonstrative pronouns
The variable forms of demonstrative pronouns can be found in this table:
|The changeable forms of demonstrative pronouns|
|masculine forms in the singular||feminine forms in the singular|
|masculine forms in the plural||feminine forms in the plural|
What else should you know about these mutable forms?
The mutable demonstrative pronouns merge with prepositions
If you use these demonstrative pronouns together with the prepositions “a” (dt. An, auf, bei, in, nach, um, zu), “de” (dt. From, for, with, from) and “em” (dt. auf, an, in) used, both merge with each other and form a new word.
|the preposition||the demonstrative pronoun||becomes:|
A little exercise for you:
The female forms and the plural forms are created according to the same pattern in the table above. Please now create the missing female forms.
We have also put together some examples for you of the variable shapes:
|O cozinheiro least restaurante (no qual nós estamos agora) é muito famous.||The chef thisRestaurants (that we are currently sitting in) is very famous.|
|O cozinheiro desse restaurante (da próxima cidade) é muito famous.||The cook of this restaurant (in the next village) is very famous.|
|O cozinheiro daquele restaurante (em Pequim) é muito famous.||The cook of thatrestaurant (in Beijing) is very famous.|
In the next chapter you will deal with the relative pronouns in Portuguese.
- What are schooners
- Can an Iraqi citizen travel to Israel?
- What is a simple homemade salad recipe
- Provides Infosys SEO services
- An example of a business item
- How can NaCl be converted into HCl
- What role do robots perform in society?
- Can even see bats
- Can I join Google after b com
- What is positive and negative mass
- How do I use kratom
- What does sore muscles mean
- Cats know when to hurt you
- Strongly Fairy Tail is Irene Belserion
- Women find hunters and men attractive
- There is a dress code at AKG
- An untaxed income affects the FAFSA
- A GST invoice is required for data entry
- How will artificial intelligence affect humanity?
- What is a canonical isomorphism
- What makes you good company
- What are David Guetta's best tracks
- Why Do People Buy Oracle Databases
- Where can indie artists get free advertising