What are the natural enemies of marmots?
Groundhog wanted poster
The marmot (Marmota) belongs to the squirrel family. Where do marmots appear? Distribution / Occurrence: You can observe them in Europe, Asia and North America. The Alpine marmot has its habitat in the Alps at an altitude between 800 m and 2600 m. We saw the marmot in the Swiss Alps. The Swiss call the marmot Munggen. There are around 14 subspecies worldwide. What does the marmot look like? About the appearance, recognition and identification of the marmot, I show some pictures that we took in the habitat. If you are only looking for size, age, weight, gestation period, mating season, the subspecies or the number of young, then look in the profile for children.
Appearance of the marmot
- Appearance of the marmot - males and females look alike
Groundhog males and females look alike. The difference is in size and weight. The male marmot is larger and heavier than the female. Marmots are well camouflaged in the area thanks to their good coat markings.
- Appearance of marmot males and females
Way of life of the marmots
Marmots live in groups on and underground together. The holes in the ground are connected with a tunnel. The tunnel system can be over 100 m long. Marmots are diurnal and hibernate. Together with the young, they hibernate from October to March. When everyone has gone underground to hibernate, the last one closes the entrance with grass so that no cold can get in.
- Way of life - parents with young animals observe conspecifics
Where do marmots live? The habitat of the marmot in Europe is in the Alps and in the High Tatras on alpine meadows above the tree line. Their habitat in the Alps is at an altitude between 800 m and 2600 m. What does the habitat look like? About the appearance of the habitat, I'll show you some pictures that I took in the Alps.
- Marmot habitat - Alps
Mating season - gestation period - rearing the young
When is the mating season? The mating season begins after hibernation. Usually in April to early June depending on occurrence and weather conditions (snow melt). The gestation period lasts about 30 days. Marmots give birth to 2-4 young. The young marmots are born naked and blind. After three weeks they can see and after about six weeks they leave their burrow for the first time. Once the young have left the cave, they will also eat themselves. The boys leave the family unit after 2-4 years.
- Appearance of the young marmot
Behavior of the marmots
The social behavior of marmots is very pronounced. When marmots meet, they greet each other by rubbing their nose to nose. You live in a family group. When they eat together on the alpine pasture, someone is always careful so that there is no surprise attack from the golden eagle, for example. If an eagle approaches, a loud whistle warns and everyone disappears into their den. Marmots live together in family groups, so 20 animals can come together.
- Behavior - marmots greet each other - rub nose to nose
What do marmots eat? The diet consists of grass, seeds, herbs, berries and occasionally insects.
- A marmot is watching and a marmot is eating
Enemy No. 1 is humans. He destroys their habitat. Natural enemies include parasites, diseases, birds of prey, ravens, foxes, wolves and owls.
- Golden eagle enemy of the marmot
Groundhog wanted poster for children
Appearance: See pictures
Scientific name: Marmota
Occurrence: Europe, Asia, North America
Habitat: steppes, alpine meadows
Place of residence: cave
Size: 40-65 cm
Length: 40-65 cm
Weight: 3kg - 7kg depending on the occurrence
Color: Varies brown, gray-brown
Sexual maturity: 2 years
Mating season: April-June
Wear time: about 30 days
Number of boys: 2-4 boys
Enemies: diseases (parasites), dog, fox, wolf, ravens, birds of prey, owls
Diet: herbivores, grass, seeds, herbs, berries
Age: life expectancy 15-20 years
Special feature: Hear well, see well, dig caves well
Subspecies: approx. 14
Difference / distinguish: size and coat color
Further profiles about animals can be found at: Animal profiles - dog cat mouse
Pictures of my marmot observations
- Behavior - marmots greet each other
If you want to see more animal profiles and bird profiles, then visit my page:
Observations, photographs, bird pictures and author: Gerhard Brodowski Hamburg
- What is Charlottesville VA known for
- Has your brain ever stopped
- What research should the US fund more?
- What do films never really show?
- What are the top 5 Hindi comedies
- How to breed garden snails
- Who thinks that most classic books are overrated?
- Energy sector in India
- How good is Bhutan for vacation
- How often did your father cook
- Credit cards are worth it
- How do you say my friend
- Tut Ch Nom require simplification
- Are podcasts protected by copyright
- Can prostate cancer be a tumor
- How was the apostle Peter martyred
- Which country does the cherry blossom come from?
- Why is Ethereum Classic getting weak
- What is the opposite of come
- Can I send a lithium battery?
- How often are new species created
- What is study room
- What was Sophia Loren's first film
- How important is perception management