What does hypothesis mean
A hypothesis is an unproven assumption or assertion that still needs proof. The term can often be found in a scientific context, but also in educational language.
The noun is based on the Greek ypóthesis (assume, explain).
Audio sample: Listen to the pronunciation
Phonetic transcription (IPA):[ˌHypoˈteːzə]
For his hypothesis To prove it, he had to repeat the experiment at least fifty times.
The American Clay Mathematics Institute had the hypothesis Declared one of seven millennium math problems in 2000 and announced a million dollar prize for its solution. In 2010, Perelman turned down this sum as well, a shock to the public. How can someone be so brilliant and at the same time so stupid?
- Stefan Scholl, He just wants to calculate, Brandeins, 11/2011
Subscribe for free and learn a new foreign word every day
Receive the word of the day every morning with our free newsletter. You can unsubscribe at any time. Your data will not be passed on to third parties for advertising purposes.
More interesting words:
prospective - The educational adjective prospective means "to the future ...
falsify - The educational verb falsify means "refute", ...
Praxis - The noun practice means "exercising" or "performing". Further...
Context - The noun context is used in educational language as a synonym for "context" ...
Profitability - The noun profitability describes the earning power, i.e. the long-term ...
- What are some great new mobile apps
- How to write king in Chinese
- What is the language of urdu
- What happens when innovation and ethics collide
- How do I start SIP over Zerodha
- What is the fattest animal in the world
- You can use corn starch in the cool
- How often should i replace ink cartridges?
- What's wrong with my google downloads
- What are dramatic music
- Does a PLC have an analog output
- FOMO is scared of missing out, real
- Why is earth science so boring
- Why do we have favorite things
- Where can I get a robot design
- What exactly is the absolute temperature scale
- How risky is real estate in India
- How do I take music seriously
- Which fruit name ends with UDA
- What do Republicans do for African Americans
- Who are the competitors to coach me?
- What is the smallest positive number
- What does it mean to be cool
- What is the formula of Calcuim superphosphate
- Why did Ford Jaguar sell Land Rover
- What are the interests of the students
- How is Nirma CSE
- What does the Koran say about violence
- Why did Britain give Palestine to Jews?
- Stop drinking alcohol a runny nose
- How can I get started with CodeIgniter
- Can Apple decline an iOS web app
- Why are cows and buffaloes called ruminants?
- How can you find directors