How to add percentages
A test (for example a disease test) gives the correct answer in 99% of the cases, but the wrong answer in 1% of the cases. In Germany (80 million inhabitants) 100,000 are sick, all people are tested. Then the following results:
- Of the 100,000 sick, 99,000 are recognized as sick, 1,000 are mistakenly believed to be healthy.
- Of the 79,900,000 healthy people, 1%, i.e. 799,000 people, are mistakenly believed to be sick.
Conclusion: A total of 99,000 + 799,000 people (ie 898,000 people) are declared sick - of these, however, only 99,000 (ie about 11%) are really sick.
To distinguish one speaks of Error of the first kind (the percentage of sick people mistakenly believed to be healthy) and dated Error of the second kind (the percentage of healthy people who are mistakenly considered sick): In our example we assumed that both errors are 1%, but in practice these percentages will be different - the only thing that applies is: no test is infallible, it always occurs Errors of the first and second kind).
To assess whether a test makes sense, the (of course only estimated) ratio of the number x of sick people to the number y of healthy people plays an essential role.
(In our example, 1% of y was significantly greater than 99% of x - in such a case the test makes little sense; especially if the testing itself should have possible side effects.)
- How does a hydrogen gas burn
- What other band is Slipknot related to?
- How many Poles died in World War II
- Why is tools important in PCB manufacturing
- What was the glory of God like?
- What are the cities in Michoacan Mexico
- Are flying cars doable
- Would you sacrifice yourself for your pet?
- You can drink tap water in Corfu
- What do most billionaires do to make money?
- What is a hard copy
- Why should we choose science groups
- What are the best Punjabi songs
- What is customer relationship
- The best free legitimate phone tracker app
- Can a medical physicist study nuclear medicine
- What is open source web server
- What should everyone know about France
- What is a participle phrase example
- What is the general perception about Pakistani people
- Who was the 1986 World Series MVP
- Does CoLive offer good accommodation
- What is the generation of vowels
- There are starts from warp drives