Can recharge team-based subscriptions
Cancel your Azure subscription
- 4 minutes to read
You can cancel your Azure subscription in the Azure portal if you no longer need it.
The following steps are not required, but Microsoft recommends You to do them before canceling your subscription:
- Back up your data. For example, if you are storing your data in Azure Storage or SQL, download a copy. If you have a virtual machine, save an image of it locally.
- Stop your services. Go to the resources page in the management portal, and break up Any running virtual machine, application, or other service.
- Consider migrating your data. For information, see Moving Resources to a New Resource Group or Subscription.
- Delete all resources and resource groups.
- If you have custom roles that reference the subscription, you should update the custom roles to remove the subscription. If you try to update a custom role after unsubscribing, you might get an error. For more information, see Problems with Custom Roles and Azure Custom Roles.
If you cancel a paid Azure support plan, you will be billed for the remainder of the subscription term. For more information, see Azure support plans.
Who can cancel a subscription?
The table below describes the permissions required to cancel a subscription.
Cancel a subscription in the Azure portal
- On the Subscriptions page in the Azure portal, select your subscription.
- Select the subscription you want to cancel.
- Choose Overview and then Cancel subscription out.
- Follow the instructions and complete the cancellation.
Partners can suspend or cancel a subscription for any of the following reasons: Customer request, non-payment, or fraud. For more information, see Suspend or Cancel a Subscription.
Cancel a support plan
If you purchased your support plan through the Azure website, the Azure portal, or if you have a support plan under a Microsoft customer agreement, you can cancel a support plan. If you purchased your support plan through a Microsoft representative or partner, contact them for assistance.
- In the Azure portal, navigate to Cost Management + Billing* (Cost management + billing).
- Choose under Billing the option Ongoing fees out.
- On the right-hand side, select the ellipses ( ... ) and then Deactivate automatic renewal out.
What happens after I cancel a subscription?
After you cancel, billing will stop immediately. However, it can take up to ten minutes for the termination to be displayed in the portal. If you cancel the subscription in the middle of a billing period, we will send you the final invoice on the usual billing date after the end of the billing period.
After the cancellation, your services will be deactivated. This means that your VMs will be deallocated, their temporary IP addresses will be released, and the storage will be read-only.
After canceling your subscription, we will wait 30 to 90 days for the final deletion of your data in case you need to access it again or change your mind. We do not charge a fee for storing the data. For more information, see Microsoft Trust Center - How We Manage Your Data.
Delete a free trial subscription
If you have a free trial subscription, you don't have to wait 30 days for the subscription to be automatically deleted. You can change your subscription three days delete after termination. The option Delete subscription becomes available only three days after you cancel your subscription.
- Wait three days after canceling the subscription.
- In the Azure portal, on the Subscriptions page, select your subscription.
- Select the subscription that you want to delete.
- Choose Overview and subsequently Delete subscription out.
Delete other subscriptions
The free trial subscription is the only type of subscription that you can delete manually. All other subscription types, including pay-as-you-go subscriptions, will only be canceled through the subscription cancellation process. In other words, you cannot delete a subscription directly unless it is a free trial subscription. However, after you cancel a subscription, you can create an Azure support case to request immediate cancellation of the subscription.
Reactivate a subscription
If you accidentally canceled your pay-as-you-go subscription, you can reactivate it in the Azure portal.
If your subscription is not a pay-as-you-go subscription, please contact support within 90 days of cancellation to reactivate your subscription.
Why don't I see the Unsubscribe option in the Azure portal?
You may not have the necessary permissions to cancel a subscription. Go to Who can cancel a subscription? find out who can cancel the different types of subscriptions.
How do I delete my Azure account?
I need to remove my account including all personal information. I have already canceled my active subscriptions (free trial). I don't have any active subscriptions and want to delete my account completely.
If you have an enterprise-provisioned Azure Active Directory account, the account can be deleted by the Azure AD administrator. Your services will then be deactivated. This means that your VMs will be deallocated, their temporary IP addresses will be released, and the storage will be read-only. As soon as you cancel, the calculation will stop immediately.
If you don't use an Azure AD account through your company, you can cancel and then delete your Azure subscriptions, and then remove your credit card information from the account. This will not delete the account, but it will render it unusable. You can go a step further and delete the associated Microsoft account as long as it is not used for another purpose.
How can I cancel a Visual Studio Professional account?
For more information, see the Renewal and Cancellation article. If you have Visual Studio Azure subscriptions, these must also be canceled and deleted.
- If necessary, you can reactivate a usage-based payment subscription in the Azure portal.
- How do trees go through photosynthesis
- Math book for JEE Advance
- What is split testing in digital marketing
- Is Delaware a good state to retire to?
- How can I access blocked files
- Who sang the song Estranged in 1991
- How do trees go through photosynthesis
- What is x if 2x 6 10
- What are some characteristics of demand forecasting
- Can airline pilots wear glasses?
- How hot is the ghost pepper
- Learned helplessness is a form of depression
- Where can I buy bookbinding leather
- What is a large format card 1
- Read Meghan Markle's Instagram comments
- How can we learn online
- Why do brands need a headless CMS
- What are the effects of Christianity
- What is PEP Glycolysis
- Where can I find open source APIs
- Why can't I eat eggs
- How does a Docker commit work
- What is a virtual call center
- Are cinnamon sticks considered a food