What is the most hygienic animal
The 20 most environmentally friendly countries in the world
Air pollution causes 4.5 million premature deaths worldwide each year. In which country is most done for the environment and better air, where is it most healthy to live and where does nature still have a real chance? A ranking provides information about this. The front runner comes from Europe.
The Hopfensee in Hopfen am See (Bavaria)
Photo: Karl-Josef Hildenbrand / dpa
4.5 million premature deaths per year - due to excessive air pollution. This number is published by the Center for Research on Energy and Clean Air (CREA) and Greenpeace Southeast Asia. In addition, air pollution has an annual cost of $ 2.9 trillion worldwide. Against this background, the following question is justified: Where in the world is so much consideration given to the environment that a healthy life for humans, animals and nature is possible there?
To answer this question, the Yale Center for Environmental Law & Policy (YCELP) and the Center for International Earth Science Information Network (CIESIN) at Columbia University calculate and publish the Environmental Performance Index (EPI).
A total of 20 indicators are used for this, which provide information about the national environmental data. These indicators provide the values for these nine crucial categories:
- Health effects,
- Air quality,
- Water supply and sanitation,
- Water resources,
- Biodiversity and habitat as well
- Climate and energy.
The goals that are pursued with the published value are human health protection as well as environmental protection and resource management. In order to obtain comparable values between the different countries, they are standardized and related to the population, gross domestic product and other values.
The data obtained are then used to calculate the performance indicator. This provides information about how close a country is to the ideal. These ideals, in turn, are defined by national and international political goals and scientific thresholds. The value 100 indicates that this ideal has been achieved. The value 0 denotes countries that achieve the worst possible result in the respective category.
These are the 20 greenest countries in the world:
Germany is only in the lower midfield. A few years ago we were still in 6th place. Countries like France, Denmark and Spain overtook us. Will the federal government's Greendeal come in time?
New method: device for exhaust gas measurement
In order to deal with air pollution, a new emission measuring device was developed with which it should be possible to enforce stricter emission regulations. This is because the process can detect particles that are smaller than 10 nanometers. The topic of pollutants in the air has also picked up speed due to the diesel scandal. By the year 2050, the European Union is to achieve a different status, which will enable it to both protect the environment and improve people's quality of life and health. To this end, the EU should manage to become climate neutral. A particular problem arises here: the finer the pollutant particles, the more difficult it is to measure them. Below a certain size, they are no longer recorded in the current emissions tests. However, it is precisely this fine dust that penetrates the lungs particularly easily and is therefore extremely harmful to health.
Driving bans in German city centers: the most important questions and answers
This is how an old diesel becomes a clean car
Urban planning in Barcelona
A contribution by:
Sarah Janczura is content manager and responsible editor for ingenieur.de. After an internship with a focus on social media, she worked as an online editor in a digital agency. She writes about technology, research and career topics.
- What are the best alternatives to bloggers
- Old houses have asbestos
- What fruits does Japan import from India
- What are the oldest dead languages
- Why do children want to be superheroes
- How difficult is it to change yourself
- Are you your cat's favorite person
- Makes viviscal your hair grow longer
- What do you dislike about Andrew Yang
- Is a coding boot camp something for you
- Are London or Paris rowers
- Why do people recommend OYO to Goibibo
- Is there a permanent make-up?
- The end of Bollywood is near
- How does someone rate retargeting impressions
- When was the Maastricht Treaty signed?
- Does the quadratic reciprocity feel intuitively with experience?
- How do you explain Joseph Campbell's monomyth
- Why is art always in the present
- What is the track of the project
- Relationships between narcissists and INFJs are common
- What is some information about chemical reactions
- How do you choose between internet banks
- Housing Where should I live in Vikhroli
- What is a CMP on the stock exchange
- Are markets efficient or irrational?
- What is the most efficient path selection
- How are polymers formed?
- What is meant by neon
- How do you stay motivated to read
- Do musicians sometimes sing badly
- Should public execution be legal
- What does a strain gauge measure
- Do Kirito and Asuna have a child