Who gave the Canary Islands their name
The Canaries or Canary Islands are a group of islands in the Atlantic. You belong to Spain and thus to the European Union. In geology, however, they are counted as part of Africa. There, together with Madeira, the Ilhas Selvagens and Cape Verde, they form a region called Macaronesia. The Canary Islands have two capitals: Santa Cruz de Tenerife and the larger Las Palmas de Gran Canaria.
The largest Canary Island is Tenerife followed by Fuerteventura, Gran Canaria and Lanzarote. The highest point in Spain can be found on Tenerife: the Pico del Teide volcano is 3,715 meters high. That is higher than the German Zugspitze. Around the volcano there is a well-known national park, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The canaries, which are known for their song and their colorful plumage, come from the Canaries. They were further bred in other countries. Originally there was only the Canary Islands girl seat on the islands. Today it is the symbol of the Canary Islands. However, the islands get their name from dogs. Two dogs are also depicted on the flag of the Canary Islands.
The climate in the Canary Islands is subtropical. The temperatures are pleasantly sunny all year round. Precipitation in the form of rain occurs mainly on the northern coasts of the islands. This is one of the reasons why the Canaries are a popular travel destination for summer vacationers.
Before tourists discovered the islands for themselves, agriculture was particularly important. Today this makes up a small part of the Canary Islands' gross domestic product. The main crops are bananas, tomatoes, cut flowers and wine. The industry is mainly focused on energy and the production of consumer goods such as cosmetics, food, cigarettes and so on. Much, however, has to be brought from motherland Spain.
What happened earlier in the Canary Islands?
In ancient times, the ancient Greeks thought the world would end beyond the Gibraltar peninsula. Behind it one would find the island of Elysium, the beyond of the heroes who were especially loved by the gods. Later it was thought that descriptions of Elysium could be the Canaries, but maybe also Madeira or Cape Verde.
Archaeologists have found that the Canary Islands have been populated for 12,000 years. The indigenous people were the Guanches. Little is known about them and their culture today. One can only guess where they came from or how they came to the islands.
For centuries, hardly any Europeans have seen the Canary Islands. But at the beginning of modern times, sailors from Spain conquered the islands. They founded a colony, brought many Spanish settlers to the Canary Islands and spread Christianity there. The Guanches lost their language and became Spanish in the 16th century.
The Canary Islands have been an autonomous community of Spain since 1982. The residents are therefore allowed to determine a lot for themselves.
An old fortress of the Spaniards in Tenerife
This particular rock was created by the cooled lava of a volcano.
A male Canary Islands girl in Gran Canaria
The auditorium of Tenerife at night. There are concerts and theater here.
This movable statue is also in Santa Cruz de Tenerife.
There are also other search results for "Canaries" from Blinde Kuh and Ask Finn.
- Is BH3 polar or non-polar
- Starts the fuel consumption of the car engine
- What are the rankings of JBIMS
- How does spinning help stabilize a ball?
- Who sang the song Holy Mountain
- What does Arigatou Gozaimasu mean
- Have ghosts ever killed a person
- What makes chemical constituents good
- How did Canada benefit from World War II
- How can you explain the legislature
- How do I make essential grapefruit
- Fast payments are closer
- Where can you buy lead gas
- What is the best example of naughty advertising
- Where are the APK sites that host APK files
- In ads, seconds are really seconds
- What are some examples of tautomers
- Can we remove laziness from our DNA?
- Is the tactical coordination effective
- Why don't we celebrate Columbus Day
- Which countries have never had racism?
- What does the Facebook page like
- Is the Quran wrong why or why not
- How is a private website created